[Phpmyadmin-devel] Some issues from first week of coding

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Sat May 28 01:03:44 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 23:52 +0200, Tyron Madlener wrote:

> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Rouslan Placella
> <rouslan at placella.com> wrote:
>         Hi there,
>
>         I have a few questions about some things that I've been
>         working on, but
>         am not too sure about.
>
>         First, I'm fetching the parameters for routines from the mysql
>         database,
>         since they are not available from the information_schema
>         database. I
>         wonder if users on shared hosting will be able to use this? As
>         far as I
>         know, these users will not have even read access to the mysql
>         db, but
>         maybe there is some way around this, like fetching as the
>         control user
>         or something? So is it a bad idea and should I be instead
>         parsing the
>         output of SHOW CREATE statements?
>
>         Next, I've used the following queries to get and manipulate
>         the status
>         of the event scheduler:
>         "SHOW GLOBAL VARIABLES LIKE 'event_scheduler'",
>         "SET GLOBAL event_scheduler='ON'" and
>         "SET GLOBAL event_scheduler='OFF'"
>         While they work just fine for the root account, again I wonder
>         what are
>         the chances of this working on shared hosting.
>
>         Next, I need to refactor some JS code that is only common to
>         routines,
>         triggers and events. Can you guys think of a good filename for
>         that? I
>         thought about just putting that code in functions.js, but then
>         it'll be
>         loaded often for pages that don't need it. And also, if it is
>         the best
>         for that code to go into functions.js, I'd rather keep it in a
>         different
>         file until later, so that I don't have merge every time
>         someone pushes
>         their changes to functions.js.
>
>         Thoughts?
>
>         By the way, I just published a blog post[1] with my report for
>         the first
>         week of coding. Let me know what you make of it, like if is it
>         reasonable report and if I missed something that needed to be
>         posted.
>
>         Also my repository[2] and demo server[3] are fully up to date
>         and I
>         would appreciate any feedback regarding the features that I've
>         pushed.
>
>         Thanks,
>         Rouslan
>
>         [1]:
>         http://roccivic.blogspot.com/2011/05/first-week-of-coding-over.html
>         [2]:
>         http://repo.or.cz/w/phpmyadmin/roccivic.git/shortlog/refs/heads/rte
>         [3]: http://demo.phpmyadmin.net/gsoc-rouslan/
>

> There's many users without root access, so you probably should try to
> implement it without.

Yeah, I know, but I was wondering what the best way of doing that was
though.

Anyway, it looks like I'm stuck with parsing the output of the SHOW
CREATE query for grabbing the parameters of routines.

It also looks like changing the events scheduler status is only for
users with the SUPER privilege, so I'll just hide that option for users
without it.

Rouslan