[Phpmyadmin-devel] Realtime charting

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Tue May 31 00:12:31 CEST 2011

I've added now a first version of my planned realtime charting on the
status page in the 'Query statistics'-Tab (click on "Realtime chart").
You can check it out at http://demo.phpmyadmin.net/gsoc-tyron

Currently it aggregates the average queries per second by making an
ajax request every 2-2.5 seconds (2 seconds + time for one ajax
request). Since it is using the differential of the status var
'questions' it takes some seconds to display a line.

For the chart I'm currently using Highcharts because it allows
realtime data, animates beautifully, is really small (1 file, 77kb
minified) and has a export to png/pdf/jpg plugin (6.4kb minified)
which however uses a highcharts.com server for the conversion.

Some radical suggestion in this regard: What about removing the
included pChart and instead using a client-side charting library? I
know for some part its bad since a student wrote a whole lot of code
for it just last year, but looking at some requirements for phpmyadmin
(no file storage, limited possibilities for data recording,
panning/zooming, realtime updates) a server-side charting library
offers much less possibilities compared to a client side-one. And if
we'd use highcharts it would save us like 16 files and 750kb (well
most of it is that dejavu font).
I think it would be pretty easy to replace actually. Instead of the
graph, the server-code would just need to send the already generated
chart data hidden in the document and then we add a bit of js code to
display the chart. Some code from chart.lib.php is probably reusable.

Please let me know what you think and whether I should continue
working in this direction. Thanks! :)