[Phpmyadmin-devel] Visualizing GIS data.

Madhura Jayaratne madhura.cj at gmail.com
Tue May 31 12:39:27 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I have pushed into my repo, the code for visualizing GIS data. I used SVG
for this purpose and i'm writing the SVG tags accordingly. This allows the
users without JS support also to view the visualizing oppose to using jQuery
SVG to generate SVGs. Further it allows the SVGs to be saved, which is one
of the upcoming features. However I use jQuery SVG to manipulate the SVGs
(zoom and pan), so the users with JS support gets a better user experience.

I have also integrated two small libraries [1],[2] to allow panning the SVG
on dragging and zooming on mouse wheel movement. These are not strictly
needed but nice to have ones.

One problem of SVG is the IE versions <=8 does not support is. I am using
the GD library to generate a PNG image for them and this is in line with
saving those visualization to various formats.

You can test this out at my demo server[3] using the data in the opengis
table. Please be kind enough to share your comments.

--
Thanks and Regards,

Madhura Jayaratne

[1] http://brandonaaron.net/code/mousewheel/docs