[Phpmyadmin-devel] Proposal: Refactoring Designer/schema integration

Adnan hiddenpearls at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 11:02:22 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Adnan <hiddenpearls at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Dieter Adriaenssens <
> dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Op 4 april 2012 11:07 heeft Adnan <hiddenpearls at gmail.com> het
>> volgende geschreven:

>> > Any input please ?
>>
>> You proposal will be reviewed by the mentors in due time. Your
>> proposal is not the only one to be reviewed, so please be patient.
>>
>> Thanks, I got it.

I wanted to discuss about the bad design patterns used in schema generation
classes. According to my knowledge,

1. In Class PMA_Schema_PDF and other schema classes, properties are used
with var which is deprecated from PHP 5.0 to 5.1.3 as declaring properties
like var was standard in php4. So, in php5 standards are to use
public,protected or private keywords. Though after 5.1.3 var is not
deprecated and doesn't issue E_STRICT warning. so var used in current code
is considered as public. Best pattren is to use protected keyword for
properties in Schema classes.

2. Singleton/factory  pattern is not used in schema classes. I guess, we
should use it instead of instantiating objects on running scripts.