[Phpmyadmin-devel] Bug #3441722 - Where should we store the description?

Piotr Przybylski piotr.prz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 19:13:33 CEST 2012

2012/4/20 Willian Gustavo Veiga <wiltave at gmail.com>:
> Hi Michal Čihař, how are you doing?
>
>>  Yes function for getting description for type in libraries/data_mysql.inc.php would be IMHO best.
>
> I've made it this way. Pull request done:
> https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/42
> Drizzle needs better descriptions.
>
> Thank you for your time.

I think you should make descriptions shorter. Example for LONGTEXT, you have:
"A TEXT column with a maximum length of 4,294,967,295 or 4GB (232 - 1)
characters. The effective maximum length is less if the value contains
multi-byte characters. The effective maximum length of LONGTEXT
columns also depends on the configured maximum packet size in the
client/server protocol and available memory. Each LONGTEXT value is
stored using a four-byte length prefix that indicates the number of
bytes in the value."
I believe we should give only essential information:
"A TEXT column with a maximum length of 4,294,967,295 or 4GB (232 - 1)
bytes, uses 4-byte header to store length."

If somebody want the full text he should go to the documentation.

--
Regards,
Piotr Przybylski