[Phpmyadmin-devel] about the "\n"

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 22:39:55 CEST 2012

Op 27 april 2012 21:11 heeft Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> het
volgende geschreven:
> Le 2012-04-27 14:55, Rouslan Placella a écrit :
>> On 27/04/12 14:26, Marc Delisle wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> When touching a piece of code, if you see a "\n" generated for HTML,
>>> it's pretty much safe to remove it (if proven otherwise, we'll build a
>>> wiki page documenting those cases).
>>>
>>> The reason was to generate more readable HTML code; now that we
>>> (hopefully) use Firebug to look at the generated HTML, these "\n" are no
>>> longer needed.
>>>

>> I'm not sure how good of an idea this is. What about the casual user
>> that might want to have a stab at figuring out where something is going
>> wrong, for example? Such a user may not have firebug.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Rouslan
>
> It's mostly older parts of the codebase that are using "\n", so this
> casual user already has this problem.

For esthetic reasons I prefer to use the "\n", the produced html looks
cleaner and better structured. It's a bit like using a coding style
(indentation, ...) to have readable code.

But it's a lot of work to apply it everywhere, so the question is if
it's worth the effort.
I don't need it, I usually use the Find function to find what I'm
looking for in the html output anyway, or read the sourcecode.

--
Kind regards,

Dieter Adriaenssens