[Phpmyadmin-devel] Refactoring: Displaying query results

Chanaka Dharmarathna pe.chanaka.ck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 22:32:38 CEST 2012

Hi Michal,

I'm identifying the refactoring points in 'display_tbl.lib.php' file. I am
trying to break the tasks on following areas.

* As a library file this should not render the HTML codes in functions it
selves. First, all the HTML content in functions stored in string and
render at the bottom of the function.
Next, return the string having the HTML content, instead of rendering it
inside the function itself and, from the calling end render that content.
Probably method names will be modified with adding 'get' phrase.

* Some naming conventions are used incorrectly. For method name in lib
file, naming convention is used generally used as 'PMA_methodName'. But
some are not following this.
While correcting them, suggested conventions in my proposal [0] is going to
applied.

* There are several functions having more than 200 lines. I'm intending to
divide those functions to smaller ones. (PMA_displayTableNavigation(),
PMA_displayTableHeaders(), PMA_displayTableBody(),
PMA_displayVerticalTable(), PMA_displayTable())

I am looking for your suggestions to identify more important points and
modifications on suggested points. So that I can do more research by
digging code more.
As well, I'm using NetBeans IDE with PHP support, meld tool, Mozilla
Firefox with Firebug, command line git client in Linux environment.
Are there any other special tools which are more useful ?

[0] :
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/chanaka777/1

Regards !
--