[Phpmyadmin-devel] Duplicate forms

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Fri Aug 3 17:19:44 CEST 2012

On 03/08/2012 14:19, Marc Delisle wrote:
> Michal Čihař a écrit :
>> Hi
>>
>> Dne Fri, 03 Aug 2012 11:28:31 +0200
>> Rouslan Placella <rouslan at placella.com> napsal(a):
>>
>>> Quick question: why do we have two forms for renaming a table on
>>> tbl_operations.php? Can one be dropped? Please see attached screenshot
>>> for the location of forms.

Well, I have a dilemma about this form in my branch. With the "rename"
functionality in the table options form, a dedicated ajax handler is
necessary for it to work. Without, the form can be handled by a generic
page loading mechanism, which means less code and a more maintainable
solution.

>> The difference is probably in implementation - in same database, you
>> can use just RENAME, for moving data to other database, this might
>> fail, so basically it's CREATE TABLE and INSERT .. SELECT.

I see, it sounds a bit more complicated than I was hoping for.

>> Still it would be better to merge these and use RENAME when possible
>> and fallback to complex method if needed.
>
> I'm not sure these should be merged. In the mind of some users, renaming
> and moving are different actions.

Then we could call it "rename/move"...