[Phpmyadmin-devel] PMA_CommonFunctions

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 14:40:18 CEST 2012

Hi Chanaka,

I stumbled upon this piece of code (random pick) :

PMA_CommonFunctions::getInstance()->backquote($_REQUEST['view']['name'])

and it made me wonder if using a singleton for PMA_CommonFunctions is
necessary, because basicaly PMA_Commonfunctions is a collection of
methods, not really a 'living' object.
So then I had a look at the class, and I discovered that the class has
no class variables (apart from the _instance variable) and an empty
constructor.
So basicly this should be a static class, with static methods, because
no instance is needed for it to work.

And the above piece of code will become :

PMA_CommonFunctions::backquote($_REQUEST['view']['name'])

BTW: If you convert it to a static class, don't forget to replace the
$this->method() calls by the static equivalent self::method().
BTW2 : you forgot to add the if (! defined('PHPMYADMIN')), check in
the beginning of the file, see [0].

[0] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/File_template
--
Kind regards,