[Phpmyadmin-devel] "Display chart" and number of rows

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Tue Aug 21 19:05:17 CEST 2012

Hi,
I'm getting familiar with tbl_chart.* to port the feature to jqplot.
This "Query results operations>Display chart" feature was a GSoC 2010
project and is documented at [0].

I just noticed that tbl_chart.php fetches the whole data set generated
by the query and puts it into an array. Then, this is passed to the js
level for chart generation. Evidently, the web server's process and the
browser itself hit memory limits, even for medium tables
(sakila.film_actor).

I'm not sure what the user expects when clicking on Display chart in
terms of the number of rows, because, for example "Query results
operations>Print view" only displays the current rows on screen (30 by
default).

So I suggest to do something similar to what was done in Search>Zoom
search: to have in the chart interface a control for the maximum number
of rows, with 500 as the default value.

Comments?

[0] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Charts