[Phpmyadmin-devel] Inline JPEG transformation fails

Alex Marin alex.ukf at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 11:16:35 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:

> Alex,
> about backward compatibility (BC), it's now apparent that choosing to
> put a script name inside pma_column_info.transformation was a decision
> that has shortcomings.
>
> Maybe there should be some kind of neutral string there, that is not a
> script name nor a class name, but just indicates the kind of
> transformation. Then, the code would map this string to the exact script
> to call.

Ok, that sounds good.

> Anyway, we have to decide if the BC will be done by some permanent code
> in the transformation logic, or via a conversion script that the user
> has to run.

I would say that although the conversion script is easier to implement,
from the users point of view, they would have to make an additional
step to maintain their old databases (at first it won't work and then they
would have to read about it).

> Maybe, a version number in pma_column_info would help, to see if
> conversion is needed.

When getting a new release of PMA, users can keep their old config
file. Would that mean that some users will have a version number
and others won't?

By permanent code do you mean that the old format will be kept in
pma_column_info for existing transformations and then treated
differently depending on a version number? What happens when a
user modifies an existing transformation, will the same old version
be used?

--
Alex