[Phpmyadmin-devel] AjaxEnable directive

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Mon Jun 18 23:25:03 CEST 2012

On 18/06/12 20:16, Marc Delisle wrote:
> Le 2012-06-18 13:55, Dieter Adriaenssens a écrit :
>> 2012/6/18 Rouslan Placella<rouslan at placella.com>:
>>> Hi Dieter,
>>>
>>> as I just wrote in my blog post, I'm considering dropping the
>>> $cfg['AjaxEnable'] directive as in my opinion it will considerably
>>> complicate the processing of some pages and doesn't seem to any real
>>> benefits. Your thoughts on this appreciated.
>>
>> Hi Rouslan,
>>
>> As we're dropping non-JS mode in PMA 4.0, I'm inclined to agree to
>> remove the AjaxEnable config option. But I think this is a decission
>> that has to be made by the team. What do you think, guys?
>
> Some users wrote in the lists/forum to tell us that they prefer to
> disable Ajax, mostly because they don't like "popups"; examples:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3528204&group_id=23067&atid=377411

I have to agree that some jQueryUI dialogs aren't necessary. For
example: create table, add column, change column, insert into table,
etc. I am planning to remove the custom ajaxifications of these and any
other similar features in my branch. Then these pages will be simply
processed by a generic page handler on the client side, which I'm
currently working on.

> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.php.phpmyadmin.devel/7783/match=ajax

In this post, the use of the Back button came up as the reason for
disabling ajax. I think this won't be much of a problem in 4.0 as I will
implement microhistory in jQuery as described in my proposal.

>> Do you have an idea what would be more work : removing the AjaxEnable
>> and AJAX-ifying some necessary functionality; or keeping the
>> AjaxEnable option and having to rewrite code for two modes?

Keeping AjaxEnable would be way more work as far as I can see.

>> Also, how will AJAX-ifying some functionality impact your schedule? Do
>> you plan to do it during GSoC or can it be done afterwards?

There isn't much missing there, a few days of work I think.

Bye,
Rouslan