[Phpmyadmin-devel] Ajaxification of PMA

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Sun Mar 18 22:13:43 CET 2012

> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Rouslan Placella <rouslan at placella.com>wrote:
>
>> On 18/03/12 11:08, Thilanka Kaushalya wrote:
>>> Hi Rouslan,
>>>
>>> Hi Thilanka,

>>> Sorry for the delayed reply I'm sending. I went through your above
>>> mentioned commits and observed how was it implemented. Now I realize that
>>> some of the previous work I did have optimization problems. I'll go
>> through
>>> the list of functionality I have implemented and come up with a optimized
>>> solution for them. Thanks for the guidance you gave.
>>
>> Glad I could be of help ;)
>>
>> Rouslan

> On 18/03/12 15:14, Thilanka Kaushalya wrote:
>> Hi Rouslan,

Hi Thilanka,

We have internally agreed that we will use bottom-posting [0] on this
mailing list, please follow this.

>> My first task of the gsoc session was ajaxifying the "Create Table" option.
>> So I went through the functionality and refactored the code. I have
>> submitted the patch with the id 3507868 [0].

I personally wouldn't call that refactoring, but yeah, the clean-up
looks pretty OK. Just one thing: when you are calling
PMA_ajaxShowMessage() to display an error, you need to pass a second
parameter with a false value. For example:

PMA_ajaxShowMessage(data.error, false);

More info at [1].

>> With this option I see some issues.
>>
>>    1. Cancel button is configured with the
>>    "$(this).dialog('close').remove();" option and I think "remove()"
>>    is necessary because if not it will duplicate the dialog options. You can
>>    check it by using the create table option more than once without reloading
>>    the page. At that case second time the "Cancel" button will not display if
>>    you keep only the "$(this).dialog('close')" part.

I never said that you should not remove the dialog, you're just doing it
wrong. The correct way to do this is by defining a callback that gets
fired when the dialog is closed (this may happen in more than one way)
and remove the dialog there. See example below.

>>    2. The style of the Save button and Cancel button seems different. It is
>>    effecting to the consistency of the UI.

That because the buttons are not where they belong. They should go into
the bottom pane of the dialog. For example:

// Define some buttons that will go into the bottom pane
// of the dialog and bind some callbacks to them
var buttonOptions = {};
buttonOptions[PMA_messages['strGo']] = function () {
    // do something useful here
};
buttonOptions[PMA_messages['strClose']] = function () {
    $(this).dialog("close");
};
// Create the dialog
$someDiv.dialog({
    buttons: buttonOptions,
    close: function () {
        // This is a callback that gets fired when the user
        // or the system try to close the dialog
        $(this).remove();
    }
});

>> Can yo check with this patch can comment on the changes. Thank you.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Thilanka.
>>
>> [0] -
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3507868&group_id=23067&atid=377410