[Phpmyadmin-devel] Git repo update

Alex Marin alex.ukf at gmail.com
Wed May 2 15:30:00 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Thilina Buddika Abeyrathna
<thilinaabeyrathna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Marc,
> I used following command to update my git repo in GitHub.
>
> git remote add upstream git://github.com/thilinaa/phpmyadmin.git
>

> git fetch upstream
>
> But it did not work for my repo. Please give me some suggestions.

Hi Thilina,

Your command adds your fork of phpmyadmin as a remote repo. I
assume you want to get the latest changes from the phpmyadmin
official repo. So you first have to add the remote phpmyadmin repo:
   git remote add upstream git://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin.git
For getting the latest updates from there, you should use:
  git pull upstream [branch] (or git fetch as you mentioned).

And finally, if you want to push the changes to your fork, then you first
have to create your fork and add it as a remote repo:
   git remote add origin git://github.com/thilinaa/phpmyadmin.git
Then, you push with
   git push origin [branch]

You can also find more details at [0] and [1].

[0] http://help.github.com/fork-a-repo/
[1] http://help.github.com/remotes/

All the best,
Alex