[Phpmyadmin-devel] Refactoring: Displaying query results

Chanaka Dharmarathna pe.chanaka.ck at gmail.com
Wed May 16 18:03:17 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Chanaka Dharmarathna <
pe.chanaka.ck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> First of all please try to remove useless quoting in the email, it
>> makes them easier to read.
>>
>> Dne Sun, 13 May 2012 16:04:17 +0530
>> Chanaka Dharmarathna <pe.chanaka.ck at gmail.com> napsal(a):
>>
>> > I set up the testing environment in my machine and now evolving with the
>> > improvements of unit tests for some modified function.
>> >
>> > When I run unit test for "PMA_showMessage" function in "common.lib.php"
>> > file, it gives me some fatal errors. (Call to undefined function
>> > PMA_warnMissingExtension() ...)
>> > I used the command : $phpunit
>> > test/libraries/common/PMA_showMessage_test_disabled.php
>> >
>> > Do you have any idea on this ?
>>
>> Probably the test is missing some includes, many of tests were not
>> really tested standalone.
>>
>> --
>>        Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://blog.cihar.com

> Hi Michal,
>
> I'll follow your instructions Marc.
>
> Yes, that is the case. I tried with including around three additional
> files, but again the error is due to not including some necessary files.
> Is there any easier way to run this unit tests independent from the other
> tests ?
>
> As well, I'm going to do some modifications regarding to improve
> readability of the code.
> For functions which are not too small, I'm going to add one empty line,
> just after function declaration and just before the end of the function.
>
> Ex :-
> function PMA_setDisplayMode($params)
> {
>
> // function body after empty line
> ----
> ----
> // end of the function body
>
> } // end of the function after empty line
>
> Hope this is more readable. Shall I use this ?
>

> Regards !
> --
> ____________________________________
>
> Chanaka Indrajith
> Bsc.Computer Engineering Undergraduate
> Faculty of Engineering
> University of Peradeniya
> Sri Lanka
> ____________________________________

Hi Michal,

I have introduced two small functions to reduce the code repetition in
PMA_getVerticalTable() function in display_tbl.lib.php file.
Both functions are using the global variable $vertical_display.

Now I'm trying to implement unit tests for those functions.
Since there is global variable, it represent null while run the test.
Is there any way to implement test cases for this kind of functions ?

As well, is it possible to implement tests for functions like
PMA_getTableNavigation() which is return a large string ?
If possible, Can you give me some guidance to implement tests for that kind
of functions.

Please note that above function names used in my repository [0].

[0] : https://github.com/Chanaka/phpmyadmin

Regards !
--