[Phpmyadmin-devel] Refactoring: Displaying query results

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Fri May 25 13:10:16 CEST 2012

2012/5/24 Chanaka Dharmarathna <pe.chanaka.ck at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Chanaka Dharmarathna
> <pe.chanaka.ck at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi

>>> You should run phpcs locally to see possible violations when you're
>>> making changes, it's documented on the wiki:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/CodeSniffer
>>>
>>> --
>>>        Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://blog.cihar.com

>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> Thanks for helping more in that case.
>> I'll follow that procedure.
>>

>> Regards !
>> --
>> ____________________________________
>>
>> Chanaka Indrajith
>> Bsc.Computer Engineering Undergraduate
>> Faculty of Engineering
>> University of Peradeniya
>> Sri Lanka
>> ____________________________________
>>

> Hi Michal,
>
> Its indeed, you have fixed large number of coding violation issues in my
> code.
> Thanks for doing it for me.
> And now I'm fixing existing coding violations.
>
> I have a doubt on introducing or changing a string.
> If we newly introduce a string or change existing one, do we need to make
> the changes for any other files like language files (es.po, en_GB.po) ?

There is no need to change the .po files manually. There is a script
to update the .po files. But you don't need to run it in your branch,
the .po files will be updated when your changes are merged with
master.

Anyway, make sure to use the __() method for translatable strings.
More info can be found on our wiki [0]

On a related note, if you output variables (as part of a translatable
string, or seperately), make sure to escape them properly, please
check our wiki regarding this, especially the part about escaping html
output : [1]

> As well I feel its better to have more clarification on your word on the
> design of PMA_DisplayResults class.
>
> "Yes it looks okay. Maybe just the method should be called something like
> getHtml. "
> Can you please explain me about the getHtml thing ?

I think Michal means that method getHtml() should generate and return
a html string.
When calling the method you would get something like this :

$class_results = new PMA_DisplayResults();
echo $class_results->getHtml();

[0] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Gettext_for_developers
[1] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Security_pitfalls

--