[Phpmyadmin-devel] removing the Synchronize feature?

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:01:52 CET 2012

Hi,

2012/11/7 Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, it's me again, complaining about the Synchronize feature. I simply
> suggest to remove it for 4.0, because its shortcomings are too numerous.
> Besides, MySQL replication is the way to go.

First, I like the Synchronize feature, as an idea. I know MySQL
replication is the best way to keep databases/tables synchronized, but
it is a bit of a hassle to set up. If you want a quick way to compare
and synchronize two databases/tables, the synchronize feature would be
very good for that.
Of course there are other options if you just want to synchronize two
tables : MySQL replication, maatkit toolset, or a simple export/import
or copy table.

That said, I agree that the current implementation of the Synchronize
feature is seriously flawed.
That leaves two options:
- remove the current implementation of the Synchronize feature.
- replace the current implementation by a new/redesigned version,
taking the current bug reports and known flaws in consideration when
redesigning it. This could be a possible future GSoC project.

Regardless of what we decide on the future of this feature in
phpMyAdmin, I think it can be removed in 4.0, and possibly be
reintroduced as an improved version in a future release of phpMyAdmin.

--
Kind regards,

Dieter Adriaenssens