[Phpmyadmin-devel] Hint for double-click (grid editing)

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:57:20 CET 2012

2012/11/1 Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>:
> Michal Čihař a écrit :
>> Hi
>>
>> Dne Sat, 20 Oct 2012 08:13:27 -0700
>> Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):
>>
>>> It would be annoying to display a hint on mouseover for all
>>> grid-editable cells.
>>>
>>> To help 3.5.x users learn about the double-click (which is now the
>>> default action for grid editing in 4.0), we could display a hint when
>>> the user clicks on the data row (which has the effect of selecting the
>>> row, like the checkbox). However we must take care of displaying this
>>> hint just once (per session?).
>>
>> I'd rather make some one help dialog, which will show help for all
>> manipulations with browse view (sorting, choosing columns, moving
>> columns, grid editing).
>>
>> Then we could show it in similar way github is offering Keyboard
>> shortcuts:
>>
>> https://github.com/nijel/weblate/commits/master
>>
>>> Also, what about removing the "select row on click" feature? Is this
>>> intuitive?
>>
>> I think it pretty much collides with grid editing, so I'd be for
>> removing it.
>
> The "mark row on click" feature is now removed.
>
> Still need to make a decision about hints for double-click; expecting
> more feedback from developers.

Sorry for the late reply.

I don't have a clear opinion yet on what would be the best way to
notify the user of the directive to change the gridediting behaviour.
Showing a tooltip every time you hover over a cell seems a bit too
much, showing it only once per session can be missed, of course. But
showing it more/longer can get anoying, so showing it just once seems
like the best way to do it.
I also like the idea of having a 'shortcuts' page, we can have both, I guess.

--
Kind regards,

Dieter Adriaenssens