[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC Project - AJAX Error Reporting

Abhishek Kandoi abhikandoi2000 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 20:16:23 CEST 2013

Hi Rouslan,

Thanks for replying. I was unable to reply properly using my
SourceForge account. I have worked with a few mailing lists like
Google Groups, but this one seemed different to me. I didn't even get
emails when you people replied on this thread because I had my Digest
Mode On, thus I didn't have an option to Reply to All.

I will be formatting manually for this time only, as I have no email
to reply to. (Didn't wanna spoil the reply format)

Yes, you can try it online at http://faceinbook.co.nr/flowork/home.html.

> From your email, I'm getting the feeling that you didn't fully
> understand where the different components of the system will reside...

Yeah, I got it a bit wrong on the first go. But on reading the idea
again I understood what exactly it is about.

> The server-side component of this system will not be for the users of
> phpMyAdmin or administrators of individual phpMyAdmin installations, it
> will, instead, be used by the members of the phpMyAdmin development
> team[0] to globally diagnose issues.

I thought a client-side component for handling errors as well as one
for diagnosing issues was suggested. But actually the suggestion was
for a client-side component for sending errors to a server-side
component with the data containing nothing that concerns the user
about his/her privacy. Thus there is no need of encryption as you
said, because the data contains no sensitive information.

And also as you wrote that there is no means to check if a request is
valid, and hence no need for checking for authentication.

I would be happy to implement what you suggested about restricting the
number of requests per IP to prevent the defacing of the
server-system. Also I will be more than pleased to work on the
server-side part to allow the phpMyAdmin developers to analyze and
diagnose the errors.

Also to prevent the back-end from attacks such as DoS you suggested a
global limit on the number of requests. It seems easy to implement but
will play an important role against DoS attacks.

I will reply back after I work out a plan for the server-side
interface and functioning for comments from you all.

Rouslan Placella wrote:

> The wiki is pretty comprehensive on the matter. Do you have a more
> specific question?

Yes, is there a place where I can upload a draft of my application for
my mentor to review it? If not, is posting it to the mailing list
fine?