[Phpmyadmin-devel] Feature request #1397 - Include fractional seconds in timestamp

Kasun Chathuranga chathuranga.jayaneththi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 08:30:20 CEST 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Kasun Chathuranga <
chathuranga.jayaneththi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
>
>> Le 2013-04-22 23:06, Kasun Chathuranga a écrit :
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I am interested in the feature request #1397 [1], which requests that
>> > phpMyAdmin support fractional seconds in time, datetime and timestamp
>> > data types.
>> >
>> > After bit of research I found that these data types support trailing
>> > fractional seconds up to microseconds (6 digits). For example, the
>> > syntax for datetime including fractional seconds would be '2013-04-23
>> > 11:21:07.145236'. This syntax is supported from version 5.0 [2], however
>> > the fractional seconds were discarded when storing. From version 5.6.4
>> > onwards these fractional seconds are stored and hence this feature
>> > request is important.
>> >
>> > I have looked into the code to implement this feature request and the
>> > major problem faced is the incompatibility of JavaScript timepicker used
>> > [4], which only supports up to milliseconds (3 digits). I have been
>> > improving this JS file to support microseconds, however it is a somewhat
>> > big change.
>> >
>> > I'd like to know whether I should simply alter the external JS file in
>> > phpMyAdmin code or I should send a pull request to the timepicker
>> > project, so it will be a part of the timepicker project as well.
>> > However, with the second option it might take some time till they
>> > (hopefully) accept the patch and do a release containing it.
>>
>> Kasun,
>> I think it's best to send them a pull request, asking them about their
>> release plans. Forking their library in phpMyAdmin is problematic for
>> maintenance.
>>

> I have submitted a pull request here [1]. Eagerly waiting to see what
> their reaction is :)
>
> [1] https://github.com/trentrichardson/jQuery-Timepicker-Addon/pull/577

My pull request has been merged to the code base with some modifications
and it will be included in their next release. I will implement the
functionality in phpMyAdmin code if this release happens soon.

Anyway, I will include the feature request as a part of my GSoC proposal
'Interface Improvements' and will implement it if my proposal gets accepted.

--
Regards
Kasun Chathuranga