[Phpmyadmin-devel] Are we a non commercial entity

Mohamed Ashraf mohamed.ashraf.213 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 21:59:16 CEST 2013

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
> Le 2013-08-24 13:21, Mohamed Ashraf a écrit :
>> I was looking at the licensing terms of a js charts library and it
>> stated that is not free for commercial use. I wanted to use this
>> library in the error reporting server because the nearest free and
>> opensource counterpart is lacking. I was working with g.raphael.js [0]
>> so as to not entangle myself in this matter of licensing but I found
>> myself doing more and more just to do simple tasks such as having an
>> axis on a bar chart. I wanted to see if it was possible to use
>> highcharts [1] as a the javascript charting library. This is the link
>> to the faq [2] where it explains non commercial use. I was asking if
>> we fall under the non commercial category in the error reporting
>> server.
>>
>> [0] http://g.raphaeljs.com/
>> [1] http://www.highcharts.com/products/highcharts
>> [2] http://shop.highsoft.com/faq#what-is-non-commercial
>>

> Mohamed,
> we had Highcharts in the code base but had to replace it with jqPlot,
> due to this licensing issue.
>
> It's not because the phpMyAdmin project is commercial or not, it's
> because (some of) our distributors cannot allow a license that imposes
> such restrictions, for their users.
>
> Please have a look at jqPlot; it would be easier to maintain because we
> already have experience with it.
actually I have already had implemented a lot of the current graphing
functionality using g.raphael.js so I am not sure if I want to change
the existing library since alot of the work actually depends on it. As
for the licensing issue you talked about, the code is in the error
reporting server rather than the phpmyadmin source code so the
distributer issue isn't a problem. However I will be using jqPlot for
the bar chart that I wanted to create since you already have
experience in it. I may change the library on which the pie charts are
based at a later date but that is not of a high priority since a lot
of effort has already been spent on integrating the g.raphael library
in the codebase and I also like the animation better.

> --
> Marc Delisle
> http://infomarc.info

Mohamed Ashraf