[Phpmyadmin-devel] Navigation tree problems

Kasun Chathuranga chathuranga.jayaneththi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 12:18:48 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:

> Michal Čihař a écrit :
> > Hi all
> >
> > I've looked a bit about problems people see with navigation frame and
> > here is a little summary.
> >
> > - Speed
> >
> > The navigation panel is quite slow. By quickly looking at SQL queries
> > it does, the database/table comments are quite big culprit here. Simply
> > setting $cfg['ShowTooltip'] = false reduces load time a lot.
> >
> > For not so big database (~25 tables), I get from 1.25s to 0.128s.
> >
> > Are tooltips really worth of this? I suggest to drop this feature
> > completely. In case there will be demand for something like that, lets
> > load it on demand when user is hovering the table.
> >
> > https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/646
>
> As I wrote in the pull request, I suggest instead to set the directive
> to false by default, keeping the feature for those who need it. At least
> for 4.0.x.
>

> > - Pagination
> >
> > Pagination together with tree can be quite annoying. I think we should
> > increase limit for pagination to something like 250. It is still not
> > too much to load (with disabled table comments, see above) and you can
> > scroll in the navigation bar, what is much more convenient that
> > clicking browse arrows.
> >
> > https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/647
>
> Merged.
>

> > - Quick search and pagination
> >
> > "%s other result found" is another usability nightmare, but this can be
> > hidden by increasing limits (see above). But IMHO quick search (as it
> > is anyway server side) should directly return all results.
> >
> > - Database jumping
> >
> > Maybe we should consider some option for database jumping - providing
> > select box with all databases which will bring user directly to this
> > database. This seems to be quite frequent use case for people
> > maintaining lot of databases and tree navigation makes this quite
> > hard...
> >
> > - Preserving state on reload
> >
> > This has been already discussed before.
>
> Kasun is working on that this week and maybe he should target QA_4_0 for
> this "feature" (if it's not too much new code)?
>
> As he said in his proposal, "This is more of a bug".

Hi,

Feature request 1398 [1], which I have gone on to implement [2] under GSoC
is about indicating the current database/table/view rather than preserving
the state of the navigation tree on reload. I am willing to have a look at
the reload issue, but this will probably be after the GSoC period.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/1398/
[2] https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/632

--
Regards