[Phpmyadmin-devel] MySQL data truncation without warning effect to inline edit

Chanaka Dharmarathna pe.chanaka.ck at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 18:05:10 CET 2013

Hi All,

I recently involved in fixing bug [0]. While fixing it, I was bit confused
that, PMA renders user input as it is while inline editing, without getting
real value saved in database. Yes, PMA do this after checking the result of
query execution function. But though result is not an error, it doesn't
mean that data is saved as it was. Mainly this happens with numeric fields.
Just type decimal value for column with integer type and see what happens
after refresh. As mentioned bug description, MySQL truncate numeric data
(not sure about other data types) without noticing.

Of course checking again the saved value is cost. But it's really odd to
see a less precise data, represent the real data. I think it's better to
clearly identify the data types, with or without having this behaviour. So
that, we can only recheck needed columns.

When introducing inline edit functionality, this may have been discussed.
But I think better to discuss again. What do you think ?

[0] :
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3576788&group_id=23067&atid=377408

Regards !
--