[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC suggestion: themes

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 20:13:22 CET 2013

It could be a part of improving the whole theme handling altogether. I
think theming would be way easier if the CSS would be split into 2 parts.

- Base CSS: All CSS Code that is unlikely to change (e.g. left frame <=>
right frame CSS)
- Theme CSS: All CSS Code that is likely to change (Colors, Fonts, Images,
etc.). This is being loaded after the Base CSS, so that it can still
overwrite it.

Currently you need to edit a ton of CSS Code in order create a theme for
PMA. If the theme css however is reduced to a fraction of the code it
become way easier to edit it, I think.
Besides that, a cleanup of the css code would probably also help a lot in
reducing the size.

And finally it might be worth looking at other languages like Less (
http://lesscss.org/)

Just some ideas :-)

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:

> Rouslan Placella a écrit :
> > On 01/08/2013 12:46 PM, Marc Delisle wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> not many themes have been contributed by the community for recent
> >> versions of phpMyAdmin. Maybe theme conversion could be a part of one
> >> GSoC student's project?
> >>

> > I thought that code generation was a mandatory requirement of GSoC, and
> > CSS does not qualify since there are no predefined semantics...
>
> Not sure what "predefined semantics" means, I'm too old ;)
>
> IMO (and in the Wikipedia definition of CSS), CSS is a programming
> language; anyway I asked the google-mentors mailing list about it, to
> see if we can get an authoritative answer.
>
> Note that I wrote "could be a part", not the whole project.
>
> --
> Marc Delisle
> http://infomarc.info

*Tyron Madlener*