[Phpmyadmin-devel] Error reports

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 17:56:24 CEST 2013

2013/7/8 Mohamed Ashraf <mohamed.ashraf.213 at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Dieter Adriaenssens
> <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2013/7/7 Mohamed Ashraf <mohamed.ashraf.213 at gmail.com>:

>>> I was going to do something like that for github issues since I am
>>> already using github authentication. I think that doing this for
>>> sourceforge issue tracker is better since it the one you actually use.
>>> I however cannot use sourceforge authentication because it doesn't
>>> provide an api to get user info so I will have to both have github and
>>> sourceforge connection

>>> the problem with automatic submission is spam. I think that alot of
>>> error reports that are very similar but not identical would be
>>> submitted if automatic submission is followed. due to the different
>>> ways browsers send their stacktraces and handle errors in general some
>>> reports with the same problem appear to be different thus submitted
>>> individually. I think that it should be done manually when a member
>>> requests it.
>>
>> Unless you can make a very clever system that links reports for the
>> same issue, but from different browsers. ;)
>>
>> It's always a bit of a trade-off. Doing things automatically, reduces
>> the need for human intervention (and linking similar/identical reports
>> to each other can get very time consuming and cumbersome), but of
>> course this might result in spam, like you mention. Time will tell (or
>> after some tweaking of the link algorithm) if it can work
>> automatically.
>> I'd say to provide both systems (manual selection and automated linking).
>
> do you want any access control on the submission as well as linking on
> the reports like for example only core developers or do you not mind
> and want any authenticated user to do that
>>
>>> also should the bug submission in sourceforge come from the account of
>>> the user who submitted it (requiring a sourceforge connection) or from
>>> a separate account for the error reporting system which would render
>>> the sourceforge connection no longer required.
>>
>> Bug reports will be anonymous anyway, so they can't be linked to an
>> account. I'd say to use a fixed account for the error reporting
>> system.
> I think error reports need an account on sourceforg so they are not
> exactly anonymous but I will see what I can do

I meant that the error reports by the pma-client are anonymous, so
using the account of the original reporter to create a ticket in the
sourceforge bug tracker is not possible.
Using the account of the developer who transfers the error report to
the bugtracker does not make that much sense, because that person is
not the one who experienced the error and is not the one to ask
questions about how to reproduce, etc.
So if possible, we could use an account for the error reporting
system, to clearly indicate that it is an anonymous/automatic bug
report, not one done by a person.

--
Kind regards,

Dieter Adriaenssens