[Phpmyadmin-devel] Problems with master

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 12:48:46 CEST 2013

2013/7/10 Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com>:
> On 7/10/13 11:31 AM, Dieter Adriaenssens wrote:

>>> Yes, I just did confirm and see the following:
>>> 0f3754a works okay
>>> 0f3754a is broken for me
>>>
>>> The degree of brokenness seems to vary depending on a few factors (what
>>> URL I load, what I've configured as my auth_type, etc) -- the three
>>> options I've seen are:
>>>
>>> 1) completely blank browser,
>>> 2) Menu structure (navigation area links for documentation, logout, etc
>>> and main page tab structure) but no databases available and no
>>> error/warning messages, or
>>> 3) Same as (2) but with errors/warning messages.
>>>
>>> I've seen the problem on two similar Debian Squeeze systems that are
>>> different machines but running the same general configuration.
>>>
>>> Additionally, I can confirm that when I update a system to Wheezy, which
>>> has PHP 5.4.4, MySQL 5.3.31, and Apache 2.2.2. As a reminder, the broken
>>> installs had PHP 5.3.3, MySQL 5.1.66, and Apache 2.2.16.
>>>
>>> My system works, I have no problem updating to Wheezy, but I can keep
>>> the system running if we want to do more troubleshooting. It's up to the
>>> group to decide if this is worth looking in to.
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>

>> I have squeeze running as well on my production server at work, but it
>> has phpMyAdmin 4.0.4.1 installed, which shows no problems.
>> I just cloned master to test, and I have the same issue as Isaac. BTW
>> : I don't even have to login to get the main screen (but it doesn't
>> show anything, except the preloaded structures and tabs, so there is
>> no connection to the database)
>>
>> When clicking on something, I get a AJAX/JS popup with message : Error
>> in Processing Request, Error code: 500, Error text : Internal server
>> error.
>>
>> The error log says :
>>
>> PHP Fatal error:  Can't inherit abstract function
>> SplObserver::update() (previously declared abstract in PluginObserver)
>> in /usr/local/phpmyadmin/libraries/plugins/PluginObserver.class.php on
>> line 23
>>
>> The server is running on : PHP 5.3.3-7+squeeze15, Apache
>> 2.2.16-6+squeeze11, MySQL 5.1.66-0+squeeze1
>> --
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Dieter Adriaenssens
>

> Thanks. Somehow you seem to have gotten more useful debugging information in
> about 15 minutes than I have in two days.

I just checked the log messages of the server. ;) Enabling your
webserver to display errors, would show this message in your browser.
But this is only recommended for development environments.

BTW : I experienced the same problem on my netbook at home (Ubuntu
Oneiric, with PHP 5.3.6-13ubuntu3.10), so the problem seems to be in
PHP 5.3.

After some digging, this problem is identical to bug #3625 [0], which
was fixed with commit 13d7f61 [1], but apparently the problem with the
abstract functions is not fixed in 5.3, but only in 5.4. Michal
removed the code that was introduced in this commit [1], so that's why
it causes problems with systems running PHP 5.3.
BTW : I haven't found a confirmation that this 'abstract function'
problem is solved in PHP 5.4, but I think it is safe to assume this,
because the problem so far doesn't arise only on systems PHP < 5.4.

I've put the removed code back in commit 6b7d1d813a [2]. It works for
me. Please test.

Thanks to Isaac, for reporting.

[0] http://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/bugs/3625/
[1] https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/commit/13d7f61ef1eaaeb3cba391b297290fa798795600