[Phpmyadmin-devel] Goals for GSOC week 5

Supun Nakandala supun.nakandala at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 17:20:16 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:

> Le 2013-07-15 10:44, Supun Nakandala a écrit :
> > Hi devs,
> > I am facing a difficulty in setting up the goals for the week 5. I think
> > I have considerably refactored the sql.php using extract method. I would
> > like to hear from you whether I should consider further refactoring
> > using extract method or any other suggestions to work on during the next
> > week.
> >
> > Regards Supun
>
> Hi Supun,
>
> Regarding code extraction, I think we are fine. However, here is what I
> told you on June 24 on this list, regarding sql.php:
>
> -------
> as discussed previously, your proposal says "The sql.php is a
> very large script and is also one of the central components in
> phpMyAdmin. As it is large it is hard to read and maintain. It needs
> refactoring and better integration with other scripts calling it."
>
> So, all scripts that are including sql.php (for example db_qbe.php)
> should probably be including a library file then call a high-level
> function. Hint: sql.php's main job is to deal with $sql_query.
> -------
>
> In summary, you should transform all places where we include sql.php, to
> a function call that deals with $sql_query.

Hi Marc,
I can see certain high level functions that sql.php does such as executing
the query, displaying results, and sending values for set, enum and
relational fields. But apart from these functions sql,php does some other
work such variable setting (db, table), setting error url etc. If I am
going to change the paces where sql.php is including with function calls to
sql,lib.php how can I do the above mentioned tasks. Have I got this correct
or am I missing something.

> --
> Marc Delisle
> http://infomarc.info