[Phpmyadmin-devel] Treat error reports individually or as groups

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Wed Jul 17 10:05:04 CEST 2013

Hi

Dne Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:34:33 +0200
Mohamed Ashraf <mohamed.ashraf.213 at gmail.com> napsal(a):

> Error reports are submitted individually and are stored individually
> in the database. however I am not sure of the usage statistics of
> phpmyadmin however exceptions happen and an automated report system is
> bound to send a huge amount of error reports.
>
> The system should be able to mark a report as related to another
> report either manually or hopefully automatically with some degree of
> effectiveness. When a developer views an error report should I display
> only the information in that error report or should I show the info in
> related error reports as well. for example if this specific report
> came from a chrome 23.7.5.253 browser and just provide links at the
> bottom to related reports or I can show the browser versions in
> related error reports as well.
>
> The good thing about showing the related info in the same report is
> that the developer may be able to see patterns to help diagnose the
> problem however the problems is that it would clutter the interface
> and there may be alot of differences in the reports that every report
> is different and there may be a 1000 different browser versions
> affected in the related reports if for example it has nothing to do
> with browser versions.

I'd really prefer to have some groupping, because otherwise the number
of reports will become not manageable in case there will be some
frequently hit bug in a release.

If you are able to reliably link similar issues together, it would make
sense to display them all at single page (possibly hiding some details
if there are too many of them).

Again, taking oops.kernel.org as an example:

http://oops.kernel.org/browse-reports/oops-detail/?id=261

So you can see that this bug on this kernel was hit by 6446 people with
three different backtraces.