[Phpmyadmin-devel] Error reporting settings page

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Thu Jun 13 19:12:16 CEST 2013

On 06/13/2013 08:51 AM, Mohamed Ashraf wrote:
> A large subset of phpmyadmin users are not the ones who deployed it.
> we need a place to put the settings for error reporting where
> unpriviliged users can change them. Is the normal settings page
> available for all users or can it be hidden by those offering limited
> services such as shared hosting providers. Also in which tab should I
> put my settings or should put them in a tab of it own.

Well, there should be two configuration settings. The first one is
whether the feature is enabled or disabled. I think that this setting
should be only controlled by the administrators of the installation. And
therefore, should not be visible in the user preferences. It should,
however, appear in the setup scripts.

The second settings defines the default action to take when an error is
encountered (values: 'Always Ask', 'Submit Reports Without Asking',
'Never Submit Reports'). I think that the users should be able to
override this setting in the user preferences and when a error prompt
pops up. I also think that this settings should not be shown in the user
preferences if the feature is disabled (a simple if statement somewhere
in the code should accomplish this).

As for the tab, I think that "Feature" -> "General" will be fine.

I'm not sure if I've actually answered your question here, but I hope
this helps anyway...

Bye,
Rouslan