[Phpmyadmin-devel] not uglifying js for production

Mohamed Ashraf mohamed.ashraf.213 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 12:01:22 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Dne Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:45:14 +0200
> Mohamed Ashraf <mohamed.ashraf.213 at gmail.com> napsal(a):
>
>> Uglifying js code would prevent any meaningful reports from reaching
>> us in the error reporting system since all function and variable names
>> are useless and all the scripts are inlined. I am suggesting that we
>> refrain from uglifing js code in production. Since bandwidth is now
>> sufficiently large to handle pretty js code in production. It would
>> give us access to a wealth of info to help us diagnose and reproduce
>> error reports that may not be feasible with ugly js scripts.
>
> Indeed it's hard for error reports, but the size reduction is quite
> significant - one the main page we load 1.25 MiB of js, after
> minification it's only 630 kiB. And not everybody has fast bandwidth
> now...
A web server that is configured to support gzip would help alot more
than minification anyway and provides a much smaller size whether the
files are minified or not. Most web servers and web browsers already
support gzip compression so it is not a problem. also the javascript
files are already aggressively cached so it is not a big problem.

considering that with minified files you would get zero to no
information on the source of a javascript error. I think it is a small
price to pay for error reports; otherwise most error reports would be
"ReferenceError: a is not defined in line 7" where line 7 is the
entire jquery source minified. Having understandable error reports is
worth paying a few extra KB. notice that not all scripts are fetched
at once every page load thus it is at most a few KBs more per request
is not much

I think this is the best course of action for proceeding with the
collection of error reports since we are giving deployers the option
of turning this feature off altogether and provide minified files to
their users if it really came to that.