[Phpmyadmin-devel] Improving the navigation bar in 4.1

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Tue Jun 18 14:55:07 CEST 2013

Hi,
The navigation bar permits to navigate within a results set; it contains
the page number selector, the begin/previous/next/end arrows, etc.

Reading [0], I noticed that there is much room for improvement. Based on
this feature request, here are my recommendations:

1. Remove the "Headers every __ rows" dialog; it's too prominent, is not
often changed and is configurable via normal config and user prefs

2. Change the default number of rows from 30 to 25 (related to the next
suggestion)

3. Replace the input field in "Number of rows" with a dropdown
containing preset values 25/50/100/250/500. Selecting a value would
immediately have an effect. I never felt the need to display, say, 37
rows in a page. This flexibility harms usability.

4. Remove the "Show" button and the Start row dialog. I rarely have to
change the starting row value. Arrows and page selectors are sufficient
to navigate (not mentionning Search).

Comments are more than welcome.

[0] https://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/1434/