[Phpmyadmin-devel] collecting info for error report

Mohamed Ashraf mohamed.ashraf.213 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 09:22:58 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Rouslan Placella <rouslan at placella.com> wrote:
> On 06/19/2013 08:17 PM, Mohamed Ashraf wrote:
>> When an error report happens now I collect certain relevant info about
>> the error and current phpmyadmin configuration.
>>
>> I currently collect error message, line number, file_name, stacktrace
>> if available, phpmyadmin version, user browser name and version, user
>> os and steps for reproduction by the user.
>>
>> do you think any other thing is relevant to the report. I can easily
>> add any more info if required I just cant seem to find what is
>> important for debugging. I thought I would ask you since you have a
>> lot of experience debugging problems in phpmyadmin
>
> There should be some more ideas of what to report here:
> http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/GSoC_2013_AJAX_error_reporting
>
> Bye,
> Rouslan

One of the entries on that page refers to microhistory entries. in
AJAX.cache.pages where the history is cached every entry has a hash
which is something like
"server_sql.php?db=&table=&server=1&target=&token=a93160163bf70c1f5f9c4426adcb3a36"
and the content of the page, params, list of scripts and self link. I
think it is of no use to send the content of the cached pages in the
error report and same for the self link and list of scripts. so I
think the most obvious things for inclusion in the report is the hash
and the params. Am I correct or am I missing something?

however I don't understand why is the list of cached pages important
anyways. Can someone tell me how it may help us diagnose an bug so I
can know what pieces of info I should focus on including or is this
just there in case it contains any info that may be of use and you are
not looking for something in particular.