[Phpmyadmin-devel] Abou the GSOC 2013

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 10:35:57 CET 2013

2013/3/1 Andun Sameera <andunslg at gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a final year undergraduate who is willing to participate in GSOC
> 2013. Because of my earlier experience and future interests, it will
> great if I can do a project in phpMyAdmin. So read the ideas wiki
> provided by you. I am specially interested in these ideas,
>
> Refactoring: Designer/schema integration
> Refactoring: SQL executor, Column's structure manipulation
> Refactoring: Server view
>
> Can you provide me further steps to continue to work in these ideas?
>
> Also If I talk about myself a bit, I had the chance to complete my
> software engineering internship at WSO2 Lanka Pvt Ltd(www.wso2.com),
> which is a leading middle-ware solutions development company. Since
> they are using lot of open source projects, had many chances to get a
> good exposure to the projects and there code-bases.  Also I have did
> lot of projects in developing those FOSS products.  You can find more
> about those from my LinkedIn profile -
> lk.linkedin.com/pub/andun-s-l-gunawardana/34/646/703/ or from my blog
> http://www.insightforfuture.blogspot.com/
>
> Specially I want highlight the project Streaming XPath Parser for WSO2
> ESB (http://wso2.org/library/articles/2013/01/streaming-xpath-parser-wso2-esb)
> which mainly built on top of AXIOM and Data Streams. This
> implementation provides a high performance XPath parser to the ESB.
>
> Also the project of Entitlement Servlet Filter implementation for WSO2
> Application Server.
> http://wso2.org/library/tutorials/2012/12/providing-xacml-fine-grained-authorization-webapps
>
> So I think the above highlighted experiences makes me a good candidate
> to do a project in GSOC.
>
> Thanks & Regards

Hi Andun,

Thanks for your interest in GSoC. To get you started, you should have
a look at the Applicant Guide [0] on our wiki. It will tell you to
submit a few patches fixing bugs or adding small features to get you
familiar with the codebase of phpMyAdmin. You can also participate in
the contest [1] that is running at the moment, those patches will be
taken into account when you apply for a project.

With regards to the ideas you are interested in, I suggest you read
about Refactoring [2], and have look at the current code to get
familiar and try to find things you can refactor.

[0] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/GSoC_2013_Applicant_Guide
[1] http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/contest.php
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_refactoring

--