[Phpmyadmin-devel] Improved release notes

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Mon Sep 9 11:27:48 CEST 2013

Hi

Dne Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:29:26 -0400
Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> Le 2013-08-28 17:49, Isaac Bennetch a écrit :
> > At the meeting, someone (perhaps even me) suggested improved release
> > notes. Yeah, we all know users should read ChangeLog for changes, but we
> > also know many don't bother.
> >
> > So I've taken it upon myself to draft a suggestion for the upcoming
> > 4.0.6 release. It will require someone (yeah, probably me), to keep up
> > with changes each release and I'm not sure whether that's going to be
> > worth the effort we put in to it.
> >
> > Anyway, the draft I've prepared is
> > https://gist.github.com/ibennetch/ebe1879bcdf9b25212ca please let me
> > know what you think
>
> Maybe we need to talk more about the goal of the release notes.

The biggest goal IMHO is to let users know about big changes more
prominently. We can do this either by including in notification mail,
adding it to wiki or by putting this into documentation.

Some examples:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/releases/
http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.5.2_release_notes
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.22