[Phpmyadmin-devel] RFE #1123

Ashutosh Dhundhara ashutoshdhundhara at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 16:57:04 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 12:37 AM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:

> Ashutosh Dhundhara a écrit :

> (Zeroconf

> >> Hi Ashutosh,
> >>

> > Thanks Marc and Isaac.
> >
> > The RFE was a bit confusing but the insight provided by you both
> clarified
> > everything.
> > However, I have a few queries and I am posting them in-line.
> >

> >> I have read again the RFE and the comments in the ticket; then I read
> >> the details of your proposal on google-melange.com.
> >>
> >> I don't have all the answers but can give you some pointers; others can
> >> give ideas too or contradict mine :)
> >>
> >> * The solution has to work for a single-user installation and also for a
> >> multi-user installation
> >>

> > How single-user and multi-user installation is going to affect this
> feature?
> > Is it something like if the user does not have access to the database
> > defined in the
> > directive $cfg['Servers'][$i]['pmadb'], then create the pma tables in the
> > database on which he/she
> > has access?
>
> It is current for a single-user installation to not bother creating a
> control user; when there is no control user, the logged-in user is used
> also to access the pmadb.
>
> In a multi-user installation, there is normally a distinct control user
> defined.
>
> So please test both situations.
>

> >> * Priority should go to use the values from config.inc.php (the control
> >> user, pmadb and all pmadb tables) if present. This is mainly for
> >> backward compatibility and also because I suspect it's the only way to
> >> support a multi-user installation
> >>
> >> * In case there is no such configuration, the logic could check the
> >> presence of the default database name and table names, as suggested in
> >> examples/create_tables.sql
> >>
> >> * I'm not sure on which panel is the best place to do this verification,
> >> but it could be at the same places where the warnings about the
> >> configuration storage are currently done (home page and each database >
> >> Operations page
> >>
> >> * If this default database name "phpmyadmin" does not exist, the logic
> >> could look for the default table names in the current database (this is
> >> in case the user has access to only one database)
> >

> > Lets say user sees the warning on homepage. Then how to decide the
> current
> > db?
>
> Good question; so probably the verification won't be possible from the
> home page, only from a db-specific Operations page.
>
> Anyway, we could not ask the user to choose a db to store the
> configuration storage, because this choice could not be remembered (as
> this is a zero-conf mechanism).
>
> > Is it something like creating these tables in the first database on which
> > the user has CREATE access?
>
> No, because it won't be possible to know which db contains the
> configuration storage, when the user opens another database.

> [...]
Hi Marc,

What if a user has access to multiple databases and the default database
'phpmyadmin' does not exists?
Lets say the user visits database 1 > Operation tab where he agrees to the
choice to create pma tables in that database.

Now for the current session the configuration storage is up and working.
Now when next time he logs into PMA, there will be again a warning for
configuration storage on home page. But when he will visit database 1 >
Operation tab, everything will become fine again.

But what if he visits database 2 > Operation tab before database 1. He will
get a choice to create pma tables in that database too. If he agrees to
create then there will be two different sets of pma tables because pmadb
name can't be remembered.
What should be done in this case?

--
Ashutosh Dhundhara