[Phpmyadmin-devel] Drop flashcanvas

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Mon Feb 3 13:39:24 CET 2014

Hi all

After seeing [Debian bug about sourceless flash file][1], I went to
looking why do we have this at all. It seems to be used for IE 8 and
older to render charts as the browser does not have native support for
canvas.

I've done a little bit of testing with IE 8 (using Browser Stack) and
none of the rendering seems to work properly there:

- the GIS rendering ends up with javascript error showing nothing [*]
- the pie chart for profiling does not show areas
- other charts show different level of corruption

As nobody has complained about this so far, I believe it's better to
simply drop this code than trying to fix it to work with this ancient
browser. So here is [my pull request to do so][2].

[1]:http://bugs.debian.org/737432
[2]:https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/887

[*]: What revealed that javascript error reporting is broken in IE 8 as
I was not able to see the report details and submit it. So maybe it's
really time to say we do not support IE 8 as there might be more of so
broken things...

--
	Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://phpmyadmin.net