[Phpmyadmin-devel] Favourite Tables Drop Down for Navigation Panel

Chanaka Dharmarathna pe.chanaka.ck at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 08:13:07 CET 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2014, at 11:17 PM, Chanaka Dharmarathna <
> pe.chanaka.ck at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 4:44 AM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On 2/14/14 6:36 AM, Chanaka Dharmarathna wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I think the feature request [0] will be a useful one. As Marc mentioned
>> > we need the think about saving the space in navigation panel. What about
>> > use 2 radio buttons to switch between Recent Tables and the Favourite
>> > Tables with the same drop down as displayed in the image [1]. Using a
>> > tool tip for radio buttons will help to familiar with this feature.
>> >
>> > To make it more configurable, we can use two global variables for
>> > enabling this feature and for default radio selection (whether Recent
>> > Tables by default or Favourite Tables by default). I didn't look into
>> > the implementations yet. But I think it should be possible.
>> >
>> > Appreciate your thoughts on this.
>> >
>> > [0] : http://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/1476/
>> > [1] : http://i.imgur.com/NGjIvNA.png
>> >
>> > Regards !
>> > --
>> > Chanaka Dharmarathna
>> > *http://chanakaindrajith.blogspot.com/*
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is something I've been hoping we can improve for some time, and I
>> really took some good inspiration from the new theme and layout recently
>> proposed by Edward Cheng.
>>
>> I'm thinking we should have a small series of links to allow users to
>> click to "All", "Favorite", and "Recent" display. Please see the
>> attached mockup for an idea of what I have in mind.
>>
>> Favorites and recents can be stored in PMA Configuration Storage or
>> local storage as we do with user preferences.
>>
>> What do you all think of this idea?
>>

> Hi Isaac,
>
> It seems really fine for me.
> So, click on "All" will show both Recent and Favourite tables, in a
> categorized drop down. Is it ?
>

> I propose "All" being the current tree view; Recent and Favorite would
> replace the tree view with a bullet list or similar display with one line
> per table (or view). I can do a further mockup later.

Ohhh, I thought the modification only affects to the Recent Tables drop
down which we currently have.

So what is the need of current server drop down ? Change the database
server ?
Ideally if we provide "All", "Favorite", and "Recent" links, "All" should
equal "Favorite" plus "Recent".

I don't think we should modify the current navigation tree. If we do, I
think it's too much.
Any thoughts ?

--
Chanaka Dharmarathna