[Phpmyadmin-devel] Maximum length of variable names

Hugues Peccatte hugues.peccatte at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 20:31:40 CET 2014

Hi,

2014/1/5 Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>

> Hi,
> I'm aware that I'm opening a can of worms, but can we discuss PHPMD rules?
>
> In particular, I find that to obey the maximum variable name (20
> characters) rule, one has to sometimes abbreviate at the expanse of
> clarity.
>
> http://ci.phpmyadmin.net/job/phpMyAdmin/908/pmdResult/type.811406648/
>
> I agree. Many rules are useful to keep the code clear, but sometimes it
could be a constraint.
Marc is talking about the length of variable names, but it's the same thing
about the line length. Limit to 80 characters is out-of-dated. Our screen
are larger than "before" so let's use more. (And you choose to use more
because our standard is now 85 characters. In my job, we decided to use
120.)
But this was only an example to support what Marc said.

But if I'm right, the problem of PMD is that you can activate a group of
rules but not a single rule. (Some one to contradict this please ?)

One possibility could be to try to implement the interesting rules in PHPCS
if they don't exist.

Hugues.