[Phpmyadmin-devel] Maximum length of variable names

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Mon Jan 6 11:38:26 CET 2014

Hi

Dne Sun, 05 Jan 2014 09:36:10 -0500
Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> I'm aware that I'm opening a can of worms, but can we discuss PHPMD rules?

I think those were never actually discussed, we just run then in
Jenkins. So I think it's good idea to discuss coding style beyond
indentation and whitespaces.

> In particular, I find that to obey the maximum variable name (20
> characters) rule, one has to sometimes abbreviate at the expanse of clarity.

I think this is quite connected to line length as well. In case you
have longer variable names and stick with current line length, the code
will be a bit harder to read due to necessary wrapping, for example:

https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/blob/master/libraries/browse_foreigners.lib.php#L152

Looking at current long variable names, I see following patterns:

- pma prefix, is that really needed? [1]

- return values from function called $something_somewhere_html, using
  just $result might be even better to understand in this context [2]

- some variables still being used as globals, thus needing to provide
  too much context in their names [3]

- some probably legitimate usages of long name [4]

[1]:https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/blob/master/view_create.php#L95
[2]:https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/blob/master/libraries/DisplayResults.class.php#L5203
[3]:https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/blob/master/libraries/mysql_charsets.inc.php#L17
[4]:https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/blob/master/libraries/DisplayResults.class.php#L2779