[Phpmyadmin-devel] Withdrawing bzip2 export / import?

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Wed Jan 15 12:25:20 CET 2014

Le 2014-01-15 03:01, Michal Čihař a écrit :
> Hi
>
> Dne Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:57:40 -0500
> Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):
>
>> I had a look at this bug [0]. Not being able to completely import a .bz2
>> file is serious.
>
> Given that the bug was not discovered for about ten years, I don't see
> it that serious.

Well I do, as the person who created the ticket, who could not restore
his backup.

But the fact that we did not get a report about this, might mean that
this feature is not used much.

>> The .bz2 generated by phpMyAdmin (with $cfg['CompressOnFly'] being true
>> by default) contains extra headers that are not handled correctly by the
>> bzread() function. This happens for export files reaching a certain size.
>>
>> Curiously, the bunzip2 command handles the file correctly.
>
> Indeed it was tested only against bunzip2.
>
>> I see two possible solutions:
>> - ask users to uncompress / recompress their .bz2 export file before
>> importing (not elegant; might be difficult to make this procedure known
>> to users)
>>
>> - withdraw support for exporting/importing in .bz2
>
> I'd happily remove bz2 and replace it with xz, but unfortunately xz
> support in PHP is nowhere near.

Users who want compression can use the gzip option, so removing bz2
would not leave them with nothing.

http://infomarc.info | http://phpmyadmin.net