[Phpmyadmin-devel] about input type="date"

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Mon Jan 20 16:52:50 CET 2014

Isaac Bennetch a écrit :

> On 1/20/14 8:04 AM, Marc Delisle wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Please have a look at [0]. The issue is about input type="date". This
>> gives a nice date validation in Chrome, but blocks Chrome users from
>> pasting dates.
>>
>> I suggested to keep this input type but add a checkbox so that a user
>> can revert to input type="text".
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> [0] https://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/bugs/4218/
>
> My vote is to optimize the page for each browser; Chrome gets a "text"
> field and other browsers get "date". My second choice is to revert this
> field to input type "text" should the "different versions for different
> browsers" implementation be problematic.
>
> Reasoning:
>
> 1) I'd prefer to avoid adding the checkbox; it is reasonable but my
> preference would be to solve (or workaround) the problem in a way that
> doesn't add more complexity to the user. Adding the checkbox means we've
> cluttered the user interface for an option that most users won't change
> regularly (as in, they may set it once, but won't flip back and forth).
>
> 2) The date type is designed so browsers can present an optimized
> interface. Chrome's seems to be broken (because it prevents copy/paste)
> and we can't expect them to fix it, so we should work around it while
> preserving the correct type for other browsers.

I have not seen other browser presenting an optimized interface for
this, so I'm not sure how they would react when they start to support
this HTML5 feature.

> 3) We already have the datepicker, so allowing the browser to also show
> their own date picker is redundant; most browsers don't yet implement
> this functionality so I don't think it takes anything away from the user
> by keeping it as "text" and forcing them to use our datepicker. They
> don't lose functionality.

The datepicker is optional, but the validation enforces correct date
when typing.

> We may elect to perform client-side date validation on this field[1],
> but in general we don't do much validation anyway[2].
>
> 1 - The rules of date validation can get rather complex with regards to
> leap years, leap days, missing days, and so on. How thoroughly we want
> to check a date is another matter entirely.

We already have date validation when the user exits the input field; for
example, enter "2014-14-01", exit the field and it becomes red. But the
incorrect date stays there and can be submitted (will be rejected at the
  MySQL level).

> 2 - Several months ago I added a related item to Marc's "Interface
> Improvements" GSoC project for "Improved notification when attempting to
> insert invalid data", so this may be improved soon.

Right.

http://infomarc.info | http://phpmyadmin.net