[Phpmyadmin-devel] RFE #637 Custom Field Handlers

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 14:50:42 CEST 2014

On 7/2/14, 8:31 AM, Marc Delisle wrote:
> Le 2014-07-01 09:26, Chirayu Chiripal a écrit :
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 6:43 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info
>> <mailto:marc at infomarc.info>> wrote:
>>
>>     Le 2014-07-01 08:43, Chirayu Chiripal a écrit :
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:30 PM, Isaac Bennetch
>>     <bennetch at gmail.com <mailto:bennetch at gmail.com>
>>     > <mailto:bennetch at gmail.com <mailto:bennetch at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     >     Hi,
>>     >
>>     >     Marc has already provided excellent answers to most of this,
>>     but see
>>     >     below:
>>     >
>>     >     On 6/26/14 6:25 AM, Chirayu Chiripal wrote:
>>     >     > On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Marc Delisle
>>     <marc at infomarc.info <mailto:marc at infomarc.info>
>>     >     <mailto:marc at infomarc.info <mailto:marc at infomarc.info>>
>>     >     > <mailto:marc at infomarc.info <mailto:marc at infomarc.info>
>>     <mailto:marc at infomarc.info <mailto:marc at infomarc.info>>>> wrote:
>>     >     >
>>     >     >     Le 2014-06-25 06:23, Chirayu Chiripal a écrit :
>>     >     >     > Hi,
>>     >     >     > Feature Request Link:
>>     >     >     > http://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/637/
>>     >     >     >
>>     >     >     > I am bit confused that what does this RFE is all
>>     about. Here
>>     >     is my
>>     >     >     doubt:
>>     >     >     >
>>     >     >     > 1] Does this feature requests says that if a field has a
>>     >     "prepend"
>>     >     >     input
>>     >     >     > transformation plugin with prepend text as "phpMyAdmin
>>     " then on
>>     >     >     insert
>>     >     >     > page if someone enters into this field "Bringing MySQL to
>>     >     the web" and
>>     >     >     > when a row is inserted then it should insert "phpMyAdmin
>>     >     Bringing
>>     >     >     MySQL
>>     >     >     > to the web" into the database.
>>     >     >     >
>>     >     >     > OR it requires something else?
>>     >     >
>>     >     >     Hi Chirayu,
>>     >     >     the example you mention is correct, but this feature request
>>     >     is much
>>     >     >     more than that. Look at the comment from Garvin in the RFE.
>>     >     >
>>     >     >     In reality, we don't have to code a credit card validation,
>>     >     for example;
>>     >     >     we just have to provide the mechanism by which someone can
>>     >     code their
>>     >     >     own credit card validation and apply it to the input field.
>>     >     >
> [...]

It's fine with me as well. I wonder if we might easily provide a way to
automatically update (for instance detect the missing columns and prompt
the user to automatically upgrade to the new structure, or detect the
.inc.php in pma__column_info and automatically replace the data in the
column with .class.php), but I'm not immediately sure whether such check
is really necessary. Such checks shouldn't require much overhead to
test, but add complexity.

Ideally, we could force the user to run once a script (such as
upgrade.php) when first installing/upgrading, but I haven't yet thought
of a good way to run it on first install and never again (mainly since
we can't depend on being able to write to the phpMyAdmin Configuration
Storage or file system in every installation).

Any thoughts about this from the rest of the team?