[Phpmyadmin-devel] Regarding RFE #908

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Tue Jul 8 19:55:50 CEST 2014

Le 2014-07-08 13:33, Ashutosh Dhundhara a écrit :
> [...]
>     >
>     >     Le 2014-07-08 07:52, Ashutosh Dhundhara a écrit :
>     >     > Hi,
>     >     >
>     >     > I have got some ideas regarding RFE #908
>     >     > <http://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/908/>
>     >     (Improvements for
>     >     > the table editor (index creation)).
>     >     >
>     >     > *_1. Making Column section on 'Add Index' dialog sort-able._*
>     >     > With this user will be able to change the order of columns
>     in case of
>     >     > composite keys.
>     >     >
>     >     > *_2. Displaying a dialog box when multiple columns for same
>     type of
>     >     > index are selected on 'Create table' page._*
>     >     > This dialog will have two options: 'Create new' and 'Create
>     >     composite'.
>     >     > - 'Create new' will allow user to create a new single column
>     key.
>     >     (Table
>     >     > can have only one Primary key)
>     >     > - 'Create composite' will allow user to add that column to a
>     existing
>     >     > key (to be created) and sort the order of columns.
>     >     >
>     >     > Will this implement this feature request?
>     >
>     >     Hi Ashutosh,
>     >     first, the feature request says "If I add two indexed fields to a
>     >     table"; remember that this action can be done on initial table
>     creation,
>     >     and when adding columns on an existing table.
>     >
>     >
>     > Thanks for pointing this out. I missed that 'adding column on an
>     > existing table' part.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     About your suggestion #1, are you talking about the dialog
>     that appears
>     >     after choosing table Structure > Indexes > Create an index on
>     x columns
>     >     ? If so, the user can already choose the columns in the
>     correct order;
>     >     so you want to help the user change his mind when creating the
>     >
>     >     I am not against, but this would be more useful when _editing_
>     an index.
>     >     Or it can be done in both situations.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Yeah, this can be done with the existing system. I failed to see that.
>
>     I mean, calling the existing index editor (improved with the sortable
>     columns), when adding the columns with an index choice selected.
>

> But the user can still change the order of columns using the select

Correct, or by dragging them (this is what you meant by "sortable", right?)

>     >
>     >
>     >     About your suggestion #2, if the user chose PRIMARY in the
>     selector for
>     >     two columns, it makes no sense to show this additional dialog
>     (unless
>     >     you want him to confirm that the PRIMARY will be composite)
>     but it makes
>     >     sense to allow column sorting.
>     >
>     >
>     > Yeah Marc, I won't show this dialog for PRIMARY key.
>
>     But if the user wants to create a composite primary key, I expect that
>     you will show the dialog for choosing the index order.
>

> Yeah, I will do that.
>

>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     If he chose UNIQUE or INDEX, instead of "Create new" I would
>     say "Create
>     >     single-column indexes". The other message could be "Create a
>     composite
>     >     index" but do you suggest that this choice opens the
>     already-existing
>     >     Edit index dialog, which you would prefill with the chosen
>     column names?
>     >
>     >     As per the feature request, the default choice should be to create
>     >     single-column indexes.
>     >
>     >
>     > I think you are getting it wrong. This part is for 'Create table' page
>     > and 'add column to existing table' page. Lets say I am creating a new
>     > table. I have added a column `col1` and selected UNIQUE index for it
>     > (before clicking 'Go'). I won't see any dialog yet. Now lets I have
>     > added another column `col2` and selected UNIQUE index for this as
>     well.
>     > Now I will get a dialog asking for "Create single-column indexes" or
>     > "Create a composite index". If I will choose "Create a composite
>     > then I will get a list of all temporary UNIQUE indexes and I can merge
>     > that column into any of these indexes.
>     > For PRIMARY index, we will need only the composite-index part.
>
>     But the create table form can still change before submission. What
>     happens if the user goes back to col1 and unselects UNIQUE?
>

> We can remove that column from the corresponding indexes and add it a
> new as before.

Yes, but the logic will be more complex. Maybe it would be better to
show a series of dialogs at the end when user submits the form?

>     >
>     > I think this will also handle the issue highlighted by you in the
>     next mail?
>
>     Not sure, it depends on the moment when the user uses the index selector
>     and for which column.
>

> Lets user first selects INDEX for col a (no dialog box yet); then
> selects INDEX for col b too and he gets a dialog box. Then he adds col b
> with col a's index by choosing "Create a composite index" option. And
> finally he selects UNIQUE for col c and again he gets a dialog box. Then
> he chooses "Create single-column indexes" option. In this way he can get
> composite-index for a + b and single index on c. Is this the case you
> are referring?

This case would work, but how can you detect if the user wants to create
a composite on cols A + C and another composite on cols B + D?

--
Marc Delisle | phpMyAdmin