[Phpmyadmin-devel] About the transformation feature

Chirayu Chiripal chirayu.chiripal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 11:11:30 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:32 AM, Hugues Peccatte <hugues.peccatte at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Sorry, I just did some research and it can work. mysqli_store_result
>>> can''t be used with INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, ALTER statement. But we may try
>>> to use mysqli_error to really if there is an error or not.
>>>
>>> I'll try to do other tests with mysqli_error, maybe.
>>>
>>> Hugues.
>>>

>> Yeah, you are right. I tested it using this code,
>>
>> mysqli_multi_query(
>>     $GLOBALS['controllink'], $query
>> );
>> do {
>>     var_dump(mysqli_error($GLOBALS['controllink']));
>> } while (mysqli_next_result($GLOBALS['controllink']));
>> var_dump(mysqli_error($GLOBALS['controllink']));
>>
>> and for the last var_dump() I got the error which I intentionally did and
>> for other queries which were executed successfully it returned an empty
>> string.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Chirayu Chiripal
>> phpMyAdmin Intern - Google Summer of Code 2014
>> https://chirayuchiripal.wordpress.com/
>>

> Oh thanks! I was about giving up!
> So I defined the following method (and I think that should be in master) :
>     public function realMultiQuery($link, $query)
>     {
>         if (false === mysqli_multi_query($link, $query)) {
>             return false;
>         }
>
>         while (mysqli_next_result($link));
>
>         return('' === mysqli_error($link));
>     }
>
> And it seems to be ok.

One thing which I see about this code is that, if statements are returning
some non boolean result set such as some rows then we will not be able to
fetch it as you are skipping result sets and just returning the overall
status of script. So, I think current implementation is fine apart from few
things which I have mentioned earlier like calling nextResult($link = null)
like this.

> The only thing that I don't like is that the script is half executed but
> can't be reverted… But I'm not sure there is a way to manage it… There are
> some DB structure modifications and we can't revert this, so it would need
> to write a specific "undo" script. But even with this, how to automatically
> know if all the undo script has to be executed are only a part and which
> one ?
> (If we know the number of queries, we might imagine, but not sure that
> would be a good solution…)
>
> Hugues.

And for half executed scripts, I have mentioned few changes in my current
patch that is alter queries at the last and making update queries
idempotent.