[Phpmyadmin-devel] How hard is the requirement for MySQL >= 5.5 in phpMyAdmin?

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Tue Jul 22 21:04:10 CEST 2014

Le 2014-07-22 11:13, Robert Scheck a écrit :
> Hello Marc,
>
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014, Marc Delisle wrote:
>> from my experience, only some specific features will break. I don't
>> think that the phpMyAdmin team has collected a list of these features.
>
> something that really wonders me is that this enforcement happened during
> the 4.2.x cycle...which is supposed to be a stable release series, no? Or
> why did it happen during 4.2.x?

IIRC, it was caused by something we noticed after 4.2.x started its
existence, so we preferred to notice users about it.

>> For big databases, however, there will be a performance problem, as
>> phpMyAdmin relies extensively on information_schema, whose performance
>> with MySQL < 5.5 is worse.
>
> How do you define "big databases"? About how many tables or which size
> would that be? For me it is a trade-off between sticking to 4.0.x or to
> accept non-perfect but acceptable performance for e.g. nearly all cases
> vs. it is always slow and quite unusable (aside of maybe some non-working
> specific features).

Thousands of tables and/or grants are definitely a problem.

> Or is the issue that the performance with MySQL < 5.5 is generally worse
> and you just "recommend" to use a recent MySQL? But then using the latest
> phpMyAdmin wouldn't then make things more bad at least :)

You really feel the performance problem once you reach a certain amount
of tables.

>> Maybe we can extend phpMyAdmin's 4.0 life (for security fixes).
>
> Depending on above (and given the fact that I do not have any clue if this
> is realistic) I wonder if there is a chance to conditionalize support for
> MySQL < 5.5, so to disable some specific features in phpMyAdmin simply in
> the code?

Not really, as the navigation panel (left) is the one suffering the most
from older MySQL versions.

--
Marc Delisle | phpMyAdmin