[Phpmyadmin-devel] Improved notification when attempting to insert invalid data.

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 22:02:17 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 7/28/14, 1:30 PM, Chirayu Chiripal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My GSoC task for this week is "Improved notification when attempting to
> insert invalid data". I would like to know at which places validation is
> required to be done?

The idea here is basically that if a user attempts to insert data that
will be truncated that we'll warn them. Some of this has already been
implemented (for instance, try to insert the text "foo" to a column of
type INT(10); the field turns red indicating a problem).

This can be enhanced, though, for instance the following scenarios do
not warn correctly:
* Insert 999 to a TINYINT
* Insert 99999999999 to an INT
* Insert AES_ENCRYPT to a VARCHAR(5) [note that AES_ENCRYPT should be
associated with a BINARY or VARBINARY column type]
* Insert MD5() data to a VARCHAR(5) (which is too short to hold the hash)

I imagine there are more but those are the ones that have stood out to
me through use.