[Phpmyadmin-devel] Shortcut to add columns from central list to a table

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Tue Jun 3 16:07:42 CEST 2014

Smita a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I wanted to have some ideas about where and how should we keep option to
> add a column from central list while we are adding new columns to any
> table.
> I can think of two ways:
> 1.  Add a drop down to select a column from central list. and on select of
> a column auto populate all the other attributes field. [see 1.png]

Hi Smita,
I think we can reject #1 because AFAIK there would be no way to type a
column name (which is not present in the central list).

> 2. Make the current "Name" field as dropdown, which will have all the
> columns from central list as options plus one option that let user to write
> column name himself. [see 2.png, 3.png]

This would work, but I am concerned about the number of columns in the
dropdown if they are numerous. We had a similar problem with the foreign
key selection, that's why we added

$cfg['ForeignKeyMaxLimit'] = 100;

and added a panel to browse the foreign values. Since RFE #1487, this
panel is a modal dialog and if you go this way, I would expect a modal
dialog as well.

> Please suggest what should look good and if have any other ideas.

In the SQL query box, there is a "Columns" panel where you can pick a
column and click on "<<"; however I'm not sure about the fate of this
panel, you might talk with Edward Cheng about that.  If this feature
stays or is moved to the new SQL console, we'll have to see about
integration with the central list.

--
Marc Delisle (phpMyAdmin)