[Phpmyadmin-devel] RFE #759 use aliases in SQL export for tables and columns

Chirayu Chiripal chirayu.chiripal at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 11:03:37 CEST 2014

Hello Isaac Sir,

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Chirayu Chiripal <chirayu.chiripal at gmail.com
> [...]

>> >     >
>> >     >
>> >     > Currently, there is no SQL Export for queries involving multiple
>> >     tables
>> >     > such as join query. So, does that mean aliases is to be considered
>> >     only
>> >     > in SELECT statements involving one table? or Am I missing
>> >     something here?
>> >
>> >     Indeed, exporting a join query makes no sense to me.
>> >

>> >     --
>> >     Marc Delisle | phpMyAdmin
>> >
>> > A table maybe having triggers present, so while exporting even old
>> > column and table names have to be replaced by alias which is a bit
>> > problem here because current SQL parser does not provide information
>> > about aliases in such cases with PMA_SQP_analyze(). Maybe some of these
>> > approaches can be used:
>> >
>> > 1) We can get token array by using PMA_SQP_parse() to get tokens which
>> > have to processed which is bit problematic because result of
>> > PMA_SQP_parse() detects 'TRIGGER', 'BEFORE' few keywords used in 'CREATE
>> > TRIGGER' statement as an identifier rather than keyword and it becomes
>> > difficult to decide whether it was used as column or table name or it is
>> > used as keyword. Maybe we can first look for SELECT, INSERT, DELETE,
>> > UPDATE, SET, NEW, OLD keywords first then consider identifier followed
>> > by them. I am not sure whether this kind of approach can give us correct
>> > results every time.
>> >
>> > 2) Or we can separate different SQL statements such as SELECT, INSERT,
>> > SET etc. inside create query of trigger into separate queries and then
>> > parse them using PMA_SQP_analyze() and then substitute aliases. I have
>> > no idea how to separate them as trigger body may have various constructs
>> > present in them such as loops, if-then-else conditions etc.
>> >
>> > Any other suggestions about how to extract column and table names from
>> > the create queries of trigger?
>>
>> I'll admit that PMA_SQP_parse() isn't something I'm very familiar with,
>> so I welcome input from others, but I do have two thoughts to share.
>>
>> First, if we risk not doing something completely and correctly, we
>> should either warn the user or in other ways help the user know to
>> double-check their data. In this case, when a trigger is detected, a
>> message could be displayed such as "It appears your table uses triggers;
>> alias export may not work reliably in all cases." However, of course I
>> prefer if we can find a solution that works correctly in all cases :)
>>
>> Secondly, it seems to me your first solution is better than the second
>> option. Forgive me for not having tested it myself, but in general a
>> properly-formatted query will escape table and database names with
>> backticks ` so that keywords are easily identified as those without
>> surrounding backticks. Does that not help us in this instance?
>>

> Are constraints such as foreign key always exported as separate queries?
>
> I have almost completed this feature request, currently I am adding few
more test cases, updating documentation and will fix few minor known
issues. Meanwhile, if you get time to review the code, you can see the code
here: https://github.com/D-storm/phpmyadmin/tree/FR-759. After completing
the work what I have mentioned above, I will squash the commits then I'll
check travis, coveralls, and scrutinizer reports and will open up a pull
request. I will complete this by today itself.