[Phpmyadmin-devel] New feature: Load/save Query-By-Example

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 00:38:33 CET 2014

Hi Hugues, very nice work on this. I have a few comments below:

On 3/3/14 3:14 PM, Hugues Peccatte wrote:
> <mailto:hugues.peccatte at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Hi,

>     <mailto:bennetch at gmail.com>>:
>

>         On 2/28/14 7:52 AM, Marc Delisle wrote:
>         > Hugues Peccatte a écrit :
>         >> Hi everyone,
>         >>
>         >> I just implemented the new feature "Load/save
>         Query-By-Example" (see ticket
>         >> https://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/569/
>         and pull request
>         >> https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/958).
>         >>
>         >> In the UI interface, I used the terms "New search" and "Saved
>         searches".
>         >> Marc proposed to use the terms "New search definition" and
>         "Saved search
>         >> definitions".
>         >>
>         >> Which one do you prefer? Which one is the more understandable
>         for an
>         >> english people? Do you have another interesting proposal?
>         >>
>         >> Thanks for your feedback.
>         >>
>         >> Hugues.
>         >
>         > Hi,
>         > it could also be "New search bookmark", "Saved search
>         bookmarks", ...
>
>         Of the three choices proposed, I most prefer "New search
>         bookmark" and
>         "Saved search bookmarks". Using the word "query" instead of "search"
>         also fits nicely.
>

>     In SQL tab, there is a text "Bookmark this SQL query". Couldn't it
>     lead to confusion?
>     I agree with "search bookmark". So I'll change this.
>

> I changed it, locally. I used "bookmarked search". Is it ok ?

Yes, this seems good to me now.

>         A few things I noticed while testing this feature:
>
>         1) When attempting to save a bookmark without providing a name,
>         instead
>         of "Missing information to save the search." we should be more
>         specific
>         and instead say "Please provide a name for this bookmarked query."
>

>     I agree. I'll try to implement this.
>

> Done.

I think you may be using the wrong dialog here; it is saying "MySQL
said" and has a link to the MySQL documentation. Otherwise I like this.

>         In an ideal world, IMO, the proper field should then get focus
>         and have
>         a light red background until the user starts to type. I don't
>         believe we
>         do that anywhere, but it is a good way to draw the user's
>         attention to
>         the blank and required field.
>

>     I agree also. I'll try to see if I can do something about this.
>

> I did it, but there is a "problem"… The field is focused, but behind the
> "PMA_ajaxShowMessage". So I click on the popin to close it… and lose the
> focus…
> The only thing that I can do is to add a red border to the field. As the
> content of the page is reloaded when submitting the form, the field
> won't stay red too long.
>
> I'm working at the same time and I did something:
> - when having an error, I receive the id of a field (already done to
> focus the element)
> - I remove the class "error" of all inputs in the page
> - I had the class "error" to the field
>
> So even if there are many errors on different fields without reload,
> only one field will stay with the "error" class.
>
> What do you think about this please?

It's an interesting problem and I'm not thrilled with the results
(because of the limitations you mention above). Perhaps it's something
we should leave alone for now and I'll open a feature request with a
list of everywhere that could benefit from this.

>         2) I think we should we prompt the user before saving over an
>         existing
>         bookmark.
>

>     Currently, you can't use a bookmark name already used by this user
>     on this DB. Do you mean that we should authorize to overwrite a name
>     if the user agree?

I can only speak about how I expect it to work, and I now understand how
it is meant to work, but it seems a bit confusing. You're allowing the
user to rename their search by typing in a new name to "searchName", but
to create a modified copy of an existing query a user would have to
select "New bookmark" from the "searchId" dropdown. As a user, I
expected it to create a new bookmark with the new name, leaving the old
one intact. Yes, I realize the submit button says "Save bookmark" which
is a clue, but I ignored the label and pressed on, convinced I knew
better :-D

I believe people are more likely to want to create a copy of a bookmark
than rename one (renaming can essentially be done by creating a copy and
removing the old one, which isn't ideal but I think is pretty well
understood).

I'd appreciate some other thoughts about this, especially if I'm wrong
here :)