[Phpmyadmin-devel] Regarding the multi-column sort feature request.

Sastry aditya ganeshaditya1 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 12:27:13 CET 2014

Hi all,

I would like to tell you that am working on this feature request.  This is
a huge thing and it requires us to make a lot of decisions, lots of
opinions need to be gathered. There are way to many corner cases that a
single individual working alone might miss.

I would like you all to weigh in on what I have done so far, critique it. I
am ready to start of from scratch again if required.

I divided the work into three parts.

(1) Generating the URL for multi column selection.

The existing code to display sql results is solid, I don't want to mess
around it and maybe break something. Instead am building on top of it.

The sql.php uses this URL to receive the query.

sql.php?db=Database_name&table=Table_name&sql_query=SELECT+%2A+FROM+%60Table_name%60%0AORDER+BY+*%60Table_name%60.%60Column_name%60
 +ASC*&session_max_rows=25&token=73e4cec7deb46fc6d7121af740ac0d52"
 There are three parts to this the middle part(Bolded part) is where you
specify the columns to order by.

I plan on adding multiple columns to the middle part of the URL to turn it
into something like this.
sql.php?db=rr_mast&table=Table_name&sql_query=SELECT+%2A+FROM+%60Table_name%60%0AORDER+BY+
*%60Column_name1%60+ASC+%2C+%60Column_name2%60+ASC+*
&session_max_rows=25&token=73e4cec7deb46fc6d7121af740ac0d52

I have implemented this and gave you a pull request for this part1. Please
check it.

https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/1029

(2) There are no visual cues when you submit a query with multi column
ordering. I made a bug ticket for this.

(3) Any tests that might need to be generated.

*To the senior community members: *Like I said earlier this request needs a
bit of mentoring. I am a GSOC aspirant and I have been witnessing that you
guys have been inundated with pull requests of late by us GSOC aspirants. I
know you guys are really very badly pressed for time. But I humbly request
you to please spend some time on this, I am am more than happy to put in
any extra effort. Also I feel that, this is a very basic, must have feature
and it would greatly add to the value of PMA.

Also if you do find time please review my one-line patch request
https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/1014

--
Regards,
Aditya